Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Entertainer!

OMG.

I just heard an ice cream truck outside.

Playing "The Entertainer." Not "Turkey in the Straw," or the whatever clappy-clap song it was that went with the little voice that called out "HELLO!" every spring/summer night on the Near West side of Chicago, and not that really weird melancholy one we heard every once in a blue moon over in Ukrainian Village, but still: an ice cream truck.

The sound of an ice cream truck is, like, a straight mainline shot of Chicago-apartment-life nostalgia.

I've never heard one here before. (Uh, obviously.)

(The fountain is still off! Well, trickling now, but not audibly, really. Trickly is A-OK with me.)

Ohhh, that was good. That was weird, and that was good.

OK, yes, I know, really, they're everywhere, them 'cream trucks. This is not such a surprising thing to happen, not at all. But somehow I never really encountered ice cream trucks until I moved to Chicago. And oh, encounter them I did, from that point on. Nightly. Nay, often daily and nightly.

Who could forget the WINDY FREZEE?

(sob)

Oh, Entertainer, what a sweet treat you were, here in Alabama on a quiet Sunday eve.

Encore! (And yes, I want my $1 soft-serve cone too, please.)

6 comments:

Dystopos said...

If you drive around the back of the airport, you can see where the ice cream trucks sleep at night.

zanna said...

Slumbering ice cream trucks behind the airport!

Wow. That begs to be a poem!

What would I do without dystopos? :)

Dystopos said...

Either a poem or a mashup of "The Entertainer" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

littlegreenman said...

slumbering ice cream trucks at night would make a wonderful subject for a photo essay.

never had Windy Freeze. couldn't find anything on it googling.

Anonymous said...

Those of us with little ones refer to them as 'music trucks' for as long as we can get away with it.

Anonymous said...

Ice cream trucks are known to trundle down 20th Street through the UAB medical center (and right next to my office in the Admin Bldg.) in the afternoon. I think that's too funny (and very clever on the part of the ice-cream sellers).